Peter Stewart, Resource Economist Ltd
Consulting experience/statement of capabilities
My consulting and training experience has covered most commercial aspects of the downstream side of oil including crude oil and oil product valuation, marketing strategy, trading and risk management, and supply-demand fundamentals. My consulting experience on gas and coal includes providing detailed analytical reports on supply-demand and storage trends.
- Market surveys for refinery and other plant feasibility studies, and providing commercial due diligence for bankable work on sales of specific refining assets. Clients included leading resource companies, oil and gas producers, refining companies and banks. Geographical scope of such studies was global but with particular focus on Middle East and Russia/CIS.
- Crude valuations and market studies for new crude oils produced in newly prospective areas and mature producing regions. These have included a wide range of crude oils, some with challenging quality characteristics for refiners. Clients included large independent oil producers in North Sea and West Africa.
- Crude sales strategy reviews, analysing strengths and weaknesses of sales strategies to specific refineries based on plant configuration, and providing upgrade path towards proactive selling role using risk management tools with cost/benefit analysis. Clients included a major oil and gas company.
- Providing quarterly market analysis and review of crude oil deals for tax referencing for oil ministries of Angola and Norway. Included providing advice on specific tax referencing issues such as transfer pricing, price assessment systems and time frames to be used.
- Analytical reviews of oil futures market contractual terms with specific focus on delivery mechanisms and volume tolerance. Clients included futures exchanges and large market participants in oil futures.
- Expert witness work, primarily focused on oil pricing mechanisms including PRA assessments, Platts crude oil and refined products methodologies, Argus assessment methodology, IOSCO principles.
- Speaker and conference chair at many oil and gas industry conferences. Specialist topics have included crude and oil product quality analysis, and the challenges for refiners in meeting tighter environmental specifications in fuels.
- Advisory work and training courses for in-house clients at large industrial companies, utility firms, oil and gas producers, and refiners. I have also been involved in commercial training courses.
- Market analysis and intelligence for a number of well-known industry reports issued weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly by companies such as Interfax, KBC, Platts, OIES and others.
Updated: October 2022